There are all kinds of free resources out there to help you success in the tourism business. We have gathered of few of them together to help you on your way to success.
Destination Canada: https://www.destinationcanada.com/en
- If you want to stay up to date on how Canada is faring in marketing Canada as a travel destination you’ll want to subscribe to the free Destination Canada newsletter. Destination Canada is a Crown Corporation wholly owned by the Canadian government. They are the destination marketing organization for Canada, and are responsible for marketing tourism to Canada from international markets.
- They conduct research on who is coming to Canada and gather a variety of other information. You can sign up for the free newsletter by going to their website. You’ll also find a host of information on specific international markets, all very useful if you are currently attracting visitors to these markets or thinking of entering new international markets: https://www.destinationcanada.com/en/intelligence#marketinsightsopportunities
United Nations World Tourism Organization: UNTWO
- The World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) is the United Nations agency responsible for the promotion of responsible, sustainable and universally accessible tourism. They produce a host of documents on everything from market trends to training manuals. Here is one example of a document you might find interesting; International Travel Trends: http://cf.cdn.unwto.org/sites/all/files/docpdf/markettrends.pdf
GNWT – Industry, Tourism and Investment
- The GNWT – ITI produces a host of super helpful statistics about tourism in the NWT. Go the their publications page: http://www.iti.gov.nt.ca/en/publications where publications are sorted by date of publication. You can filter publications specifically related to tourism, and here is the link for that: http://www.iti.gov.nt.ca/en/publications?f=field_document_category%3A46 Because of the way publications are sorted, you will likely need to scroll down to see what you are looking for. Here are a couple of examples of great statistical reports specific for tourism in the NWT.
GNWT – ITI – Parks
- If visitors who drive to the NWT are a client group of yours, you might find the territorial park data interesting: http://www.iti.gov.nt.ca/sites/www.iti.gov.nt.ca/files/territorial_parks_inicators.pdf
GNWT – ITI – Fishing
- If you offer fishing as an activity, you’ll definitely be interested in the Fishing Visitation report: http://www.iti.gov.nt.ca/sites/www.iti.gov.nt.ca/files/fishing_license_data_-_2010-15.pdf
These are just a few examples of the great information GNWT – ITI provides. If you need help understanding this information or are not sure how to make use of it, feel free to contact us.
GNWT – ITI – Funding Programs
- The GNWT actively promotes the growth of the tourism industry in the NWT. There are a number of funding programs that are in place to help tourism operators as well as DMOs in the NWT. Here is where you go to find the funding programs: http://www.iti.gov.nt.ca/en/services/contract_registry?combine=&field_sector_tid=All&field_program_type_tid=All&page=2
Tourism businesses will want to pay particular attention to the SEED program and the Product Diversification program.
What if you are interested in applying for funding, but you need help? We can help you with that process.
Market Intelligence – Tourism eSchool
- This is a great, and free, online resource for tourism operators and destination marketers. Here’s an example of a great article from the site:
- Marketing on your mobile phone: http://tourismeschool.com/7-mobile-marketing-tips-for-tourism-businesses/
There are many resources, especially online, and many of them are free. If you find yourself getting lost in the maze of information or don’t know where to start, we can help with that. Please contact us for more information.